According to the latest research, digital marketing is one of the rapidly growing industries all around the globe. Be it SEO, SMO, PPC, content writing or any other component of digital marketing, all of them are captivating users and benefiting businesses worldwide.
Most of us know that digital marketing is useful for individuals or organizations that are in the quest of accelerating their business, go-to-market, turnover or other business parameters. But, have you ever imagined that a Negative SEO attack can completely damage the online presence of your business and cause you a massive loss. Yes! It is a fact and in order to stay secured against negative SEO attack, we should begin by knowing what Negative SEO or negative seo services? So, let’s quickly dig into the matter.
What is Negative SEO and Top 9 Negative SEO Attacks
Well! Negative SEO is an unethical (black-hat) methodology to harm your competitor’s ranking in the search results. In other words it includes various methods used for spoiling the online presence of any website. When we discuss negative SEO, it includes a variety of methods, which are as following:
- Building tons of spam back links of your website: In digital marketing, most of us believe that creation of back links on multiple websites is a good practice to boost your website’s ranking. Well! This information needs further tweaking. Creation of backlinks, created on spammy websites spoil your website’s reputation and may cause your website to even get into sandbox (A prison of spammy websites).
- Creation or posting fake press release: In digital marketing world, creation and promotion of press release is considered one of the finest methods of connecting with your targeted audience. It certainly amplifies your website’s reputation online. But, in negative SEO techniques, attackers use fake news and promote the press release online with bad intent. They usually submit these press releases anonymously by choosing their premium service for placement and make payment through cryptocurrencies. Through this approach, they can easily highlight the negative news or create a fake story to disrupt the goodwill of any organization. Moreover, they also create back links pointing to harmful websites for further damage.
- Unethical submission of articles: It is a known fact that content plays a vital role to connect with your targeted audience. But, how about that if attackers use the potential of content against the goodwill of your respective organization. People included in negative SEO practice often create misguiding content against your organization and post them with the help of fake accounts. They also purchase premium service of article submission websites for quick article approval.
- Creation of low quality social links: However, social links do not have a major role of directly impacting your website’s ranking, as they are useful for link discovery. But in the upcoming days, Google is going to have surveillance on link submitters and their accounts if they are verified. Sharing your website’s links via known bot networks may result in an unpleasant results and cause link penalties.
- Creation of Outbound links on Toxic websites: Creating outbound links on various toxic websites is yet another method used in negative SEO strategies. To stay safe against it, make sure to regularly disavow these links that can cause penalty to your website.
- Canonical Injections: It is a process that lets hackers inject inapt content into any website via hacking or abusing website’s technical configuration. Here, hackers use a method, namely PWA (progressive web app) and associate the PWA with a target domain, via the hack. Furthermore, it can also be used to steal customer’s information as well. On the other hand, an attacker can also make changes to href settings to cause incorrect indexing issues.
- Duplicate Content: It is one of the oldest methods of negative SEO techniques, which may return once again. The creation of duplicate content of the targeted webpage/website or copying its head section for unethical purpose can also lead to massive damage. So make sure to set the canonical tags of your website appropriately.
- Inapt Use of AMP Pages: Accelerate Mobile Pages (AMP) is often used in negative SEO tricks to cause confusion among users as well as webmasters. Here, attackers create an AMP site with content (copied content of the targeted website along with more keyword stuffing and inclusion of adult phrases) with unethical objective. They use the rel=canonical tag of the targeted page in their pages to spoil the reputation of the targeted website.
- Negative Reviews: Last, but not the least, posting negative reviews against any website is one of the widely used negative SEO methods. These reviews are posted by attackers either on the business listings of the targeted website or third party review websites. As a preventive measure against this attack, you can use Online Reputation Management (ORM) techniques.
Every technology has a dark side of it, which can be avoided if we follow the right practice. In order to stay secure against these negative SEO attacks, it is mandatory to evaluate your website on regular basis. Make sure to disavow undesirable links, watch out for warnings highlighted on search console along with preventive measures and monitor your website’s traffic daily. These methods certainly help you keep the negative SEO attacks at bay.